Throughout the news I see stories about people who sustained brain injuries in varying degrees, who are now wonderfully creative artists.
My question to you is; What gift if any did you receive?
Give me hope, share them with me juhli.jansen@gmail.com
Me nada, nothing. Though hope springs eternal I keep searching, trying different things looking for my hidden gem waiting to be discovered.
I enjoy working with my hands, and painting seemed like a logic fist choice?
Then I remember that one of my concussions damaged my frontal lobes, which processes executive function. Decisions, I make them alright, but they are impulsive and not what you would call organized.
Yet off I went to get my art supplies. Cleaned out my daughters old bedroom and created my sanctuary of color.
My husband suggested that I take an art class to learn the basics. I'm not what you call a group person. My new post concussion personality is a bit intense, and I discovered most artists are quiet and serious, which is not me.
The only class available at that time was an advanced class. The teacher was a professional artist who taught at the Cocoran College of Art. All the other students were already selling their paintings for thousands. There were working on their huge canvases with confidence
In a corner I was with my 24 X 30 canvas waiting patiently for some instruction.
As the teacher chatted with all the season artists, it became obvious that the class was about critique and an occasional guidance not instruction.
Finally she drifted over to my easel. Her attitude changed from praise shock and awe,
"Your colors are not complimentary," she bellowed. "Where did you go to school, don't you know the color wheel, why are you in this class?"
It was at that time I knew I was in for 12 weeks of artistic hell.
No comments:
Post a Comment